Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mission Haiti 2012--Day 6--Traveling Day

We were invited to get up at 5am to go to the last mass for God knows how long in the village. A few of us were able to get up. It was a very special thing to be able to experience all these moments with the community.

The rest of the group got up around 5:30 to have something to eat and pile into the truck to head out.  A few of the kids had gotten up by the time we left. Most of us were not ready to leave and a few were fighting back tears.  I'm torn about whether it would have been easier to have been able to say good bye to the kids or to just leave knowing our hearts are forever with them.

As we pulled out of the orphanage it was still dark. There was a silence in the truck as we all felt our hearts breaking.

As we drove away from the orphanage, the sun was rising from behind the mountain on which we stayed. I couldn't help but think how symbolic this was.  We were all heading back into a new life and the sun was rising on a new outlook on life.  As I sit here finishing this blog, I am holding back tears. I can't help but remember the joy I felt being there and the love that I felt overflowing in my heart. I'm not sure when I will be able to return, but I know, I know, I have to.

Coming back to the states was a whirlwind. All I can remember was feeling out of place.  People kept asking me  how mission was and all I can say is, "Amazing!" I couldn't seem to expand on mission just yet. Words just aren't adequate to tell how much I felt yet simultaneously felt almost nothing.  I'm not sure Haiti is where I wanted to be, but something just didn't feel right coming back to Steubenville. My mission leader warned us that we would be feeling this; she said we were all called to be in Haiti together at that time, but we are also called to be back here and be present to the people in our lives here. I'm working hard to try to adjust back to normal life, but somehow normal isn't normal anymore. The main thing I really want to learn how to do is to let go of all the excess in my life. The way simplicity works in Haiti is truly something that made a strong impact on my life.

I want to thank all of you who contributed to the mission.  Words cannot express my gratitude for all your prayers and support. Your generosity has been such a blessing to my life as well as the lives of the 14 orphans who stole a rather large piece of my heart.

When I returned to the states I felt a strong connection to the quote: "The sweetest moments in life are veiled in the mystery of being indescribable. Words do not even approach effectiveness." I do hope this blog, whoever was able to complete reading this, even though it is just a summary of my few days in Haiti gave you some insight to what you were able to team up with the Lord to help me do his will.

Mesi anpil!!
(Thanks a lot!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment